Masters in Psychology programs in New Mexico offer a wide variety of degree options for aspiring psychologists. Three schools offering programs in the state are New Mexico State University, the University of New Mexico, and the University of the Southwest. Each school offers a variety of graduate programs, with seven different degree programs available in total. These programs range from Master of Science and Master of Arts degrees to Doctor of Psychology degrees. Programs may focus on clinical, counseling, school psychology, and other specialty areas such as forensic psychology or industrial and organizational psychology. Coursework may include topics such as psychopathology, research methods, and psychotherapy. Depending on the program, students may need to complete either a research or clinical practicum as part of their studies. Graduates of Masters in Psychology Programs in New Mexico will be well-prepared to pursue a career in psychology or related fields. Moreover, completion of these programs will provide individuals with the necessary foundation to become a licensed psychologist in New Mexico, enabling them to contribute to the field of psychology and make a positive impact on the lives of others.
In addition to the diverse array of master’s programs, New Mexico also offers a range of Ph.D. programs in psychology for individuals seeking advanced education and specialization in the field. Several reputable institutions, including New Mexico State University, the University of New Mexico, and the University of the Southwest, provide Ph.D. programs designed to meet the academic and professional needs of aspiring psychologists. These doctoral programs allow students to delve deeper into their chosen areas of expertise, conduct advanced research, and contribute to the advancement of psychological knowledge.
Master’s in General Psychology
The Master of Science in Psychology program at New Mexico Highlands University offers an innovative and comprehensive approach to psychology studies. Students will gain the skills necessary to work as professional psychologists and pursue concentrations in Cognitive Neuroscience, Clinical Psychology, Developmental Psychology, Health and Rehabilitation Psychology, Industrial Organizational Psychology, or Social Psychology. The program is located in Las Vegas, New Mexico, and is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. With courses taught by renowned faculty, students will gain a comprehensive understanding of psychological principles and theories and develop the skills to apply them to real-world settings. Through this program, students can become successful practitioners in the field of psychology.
Master’s in School/Educational Psychology
The University of New Mexico’s Educational Psychology MA program is located in the heart of Albuquerque, New Mexico, and is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. This program offers concentrations in School Psychology and Qualitative Research, allowing students to specialize in the areas that most interest them. It offers courses in research methods and data analysis, psychometric techniques, theories of learning and instruction, and educational assessment and evaluation. Through this program, students gain the knowledge and skills needed to become successful educational psychologists who can help students and teachers better understand learning processes, promote positive educational outcomes, and create effective learning environments.
Other Psychology Programs
New Mexico State University offers an excellent MA in General Experimental Psychology program located in Las Cruces, NM. This program provides a comprehensive education in the field of experimental psychology and allows students to specialize in areas such as cognitive, developmental, and social psychology. The Higher Learning Commission accredits it and offers a rigorous curriculum focusing on research, data analysis, and writing skills. Students will gain the knowledge and skills necessary to pursue a career in clinical, industrial/organizational, or academic psychology. Additionally, the program offers opportunities to participate in research, internships, and field experiences. It is an excellent choice for those interested in a career in psychology.
New Mexico Psychology and Mental Health-Focused Organizations
- New Mexico Psychological Association: This organization represents psychologists and other mental health professionals in New Mexico. They provide resources for professionals and the public, advocate for the profession, and promote the importance of mental health.
- New Mexico Suicide Intervention Project: This organization provides education and training on suicide prevention to individuals and organizations throughout New Mexico. They also offer crisis intervention services and support for those who have been affected by suicide.
- New Mexico Solutions: This organization provides a range of mental health and substance abuse treatment services to individuals and families in New Mexico. They offer therapy, case management, medication management, and other services.
- Southwest Family Guidance Center and Institute: This organization provides mental health services to children, adolescents, and families in the Albuquerque area. They offer therapy, psychological testing, and other services.
- Agora Crisis Center: This organization provides crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to individuals in New Mexico. They offer a 24/7 hotline, chat and text support, and other resources.
- New Mexico Department of Health Behavioral Health Services Division: This division of the New Mexico Department of Health oversees the state’s mental health and substance abuse services. They provide information on available services and resources and work to improve access to care.
- The Life Link: This organization provides a range of mental health services, including therapy, crisis intervention, and case management, to individuals and families in northern New Mexico. They also offer supportive housing for individuals with mental illness.
- La Familia Medical Center Behavioral Health Services: This organization provides mental health and substance abuse treatment services to individuals and families in Santa Fe and surrounding areas. They offer therapy, case management, and other services.
- The Guidance Center: This organization provides a wide range of mental health services to individuals and families in Las Cruces and surrounding areas. They offer therapy, psychiatry, other services, and specialized programs for children and adolescents.
- National Alliance on Mental Illness New Mexico: This organization provides support, education, and advocacy for individuals and families affected by mental illness in New Mexico. They offer a helpline, support groups, and other resources.
New Mexico Data and Mental Health Statistics
- According to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), in 2020, an estimated 17.2% of adults in New Mexico experienced a mental illness.
- The suicide rate in New Mexico was 25.5 per 100,000 people in 2020, which is higher than the national average of 13.9 per 100,000 people.
- In 2020, an estimated 10.2% of New Mexico adults experienced a substance use disorder, according to SAMHSA.
- The number of drug overdose deaths in New Mexico increased by 27.5% between 2019 and 2020, with 704 deaths in 2020.
- In 2020, 53.2% of adults with a mental illness in New Mexico received mental health treatment, according to SAMHSA.
- According to the CDC, the percentage of New Mexico adults who reported having poor mental health for 14 or more days in the past month was 13.3% in 2020.
- In 2020, an estimated 1 in 8 New Mexico youth aged 12-17 experienced a major depressive episode, according to SAMHSA.
- According to the CDC, the percentage of New Mexico adults who reported binge drinking (consuming 5 or more drinks on one occasion) in the past month was 18.9% in 2020.